Sunday, January 31, 2016

Showing Interest

     August.  My last post was in August of last year.  I've decided that I'm just really good at long pauses.  Not something to be overly proud about, but this last pause was different.  It stared as a "life being overly busy" kind of pause, but by Thanksgiving it was more of a growth spurt kind of pause.  I lost interest in almost everything.  Then I learned a few things about myself.  

     Shortly after Thanksgiving, all I wanted to do in my free time was binge watch Netflix or read Harry Potter.  I didn't even go all out during Christmas.  I didn't spend very much time shopping for presents, I didn't send out cards, I didn't plan any special parties or dinners.  But I did purchase one Christmas present that I'm pretty proud of, it also helped me get out of my "uninterested" slump.

     On Dec 16th I took my husband to a local Genesis Health Club and signed up for a three year membership.  That was his Christmas present from me.  He told me that he wanted to be the same weight as James Bond.  According to Ian Flemming, Bond is 6 foot tall and 167lbs.  My goal is to lose enough weight that I weigh less then my husband.  I'm not going to lie, I've out weighed him for some time now, by about twenty to thirty pounds (depending on the time of year).  It's probably been over five years since my wedding ring fit.  I know that some of my weight gain has come from the type of birth control I use, Depo injections.  But this is my body and I knew when I started taking Depo that weight gain was highly possible, but I didn't take any action to prevent it.  So it's not the medicine's fault, it's mine, and I'm going to try my hardest to reverse the effects it's had on my body.  

     Since we got the membership, we have been working out 4-5 times a week AND we decided we wanted a trainer to help us, at least for the first year.  So two of my workouts a week are trainer guided and the rest are up to me.  The trainer also did the math and figured out caloric intake for both my husband and I.  He also broke it down in to carb, protein, and fat ratios to help us stay in check.  I updated my info on the myfitnesspal app (food and fitness journal) to the caloric info the trainer gave us.  And now, a month after signing up, working out each week, using my food journal, I'm down ten pounds.  I've become friends with a treadmill and a StairMaster.  I've learned that I can live without Starbucks without killing anyone.  I've discovered that 60 min of cardio isn't that bad and my body is more then willing to go longer.  I purchased some running tights the week of New Year's Eve, they are now to big.
  
     I think that focusing on going to the gym enough times each week and trying to use my free time more efficiently has helped me get out of the slump I was in.  I started knitting a sock, I baked a cake from scratch; a carrot cake, I even shredded the three cups of carrots myself.  I improved my crochet skills and learned a new dishcloth pattern by heart.  I went through my desk at home and got rid of a LOT of junk that was just cluttering it up, taking up space.
  
     The point is, I feel motivated again.  Now I just need to find the motivation to take down the Christmas tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment